Chicken, Potato and Asparagus Sheet Pan Dinner
Is anyone else pinning sheet pan dinners like crazy? For the last 3 months, I have been stumbling across recipes for sheet-pan dinners in the local newspaper, on social media and in my various food magazines. Recently, after much experimentation, I combined a few of them to create my own variation called Chicken, Potato and Asparagus Sheet Pan Dinner.
This recipe can be made in one pan but to ensure all the ingredients are baked to perfection, you will need to add them to the pan at different times. I tried lots of sheet pan recipes and ended up with overcooked chicken, under-cooked potatoes and stringy veggies along the way. I think this recipe is a home-run! The marinade offers the chicken a mild garlic flavor and some complexity from the mustard and vinegar. Giving the potatoes a jump start on the cooking process ensures a tender, creamy texture and adding the asparagus and red pepper towards the end means your veggies will be tender but maintain a bit of crunch.
If you are looking to get on the sheet pan dinner bandwagon, give this recipe a try. I am sure your family will love it as much as mine did!
Eat well this Spring, Angie
P.S. Homegrown Asparagus Season is just around the corner. Stay tuned!
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs. Eckert’s Pure Honey
- 1 Tbs. Dijon Mustard
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Sheet pan ingredients:
- 1 ½ lbs. red potatoes (about 2” in diameter), quartered
- 4 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2 lbs.)
- 1 bunch of asparagus, cut in 2” pieces
- 1 red pepper, seeded and julienned
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together ingredients for the marinade. Place chicken breasts down in bowl of marinade and refrigerate for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Flip chicken breast over once or twice during the marinade cycle.
- While chicken is marinating, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place red potatoes on pan and drizzle and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to preference. Bake potatoes for 20 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and lay chicken breast on top of potatoes. Discard marinade. Bake 12 minutes and remove pan from oven.
- Finally, drizzle remaining olive on cut asparagus and red pepper before adding to the pan. Place asparagus and peppers on top of the chicken and potatoes on the pan. Salt and pepper to preference. Return pan to the oven and bake an additional 12 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165. Makes 4-5 servings.