Fresh Summer Corn Salad with Creamy Vinaigrette
If you are looking for the perfect salad to take to your holiday celebrations this weekend, look no further. This fresh corn and tomato salad captures the best flavors of the homegrown season. Since fresh corn, zucchini, tomatoes, onions and garlic are all in season at Eckert’s, I am planning to make this salad often this weekend.
Last night we celebrated my son’s 7th birthday with family and friends. He requested a “Napoleon Dynamite” theme party which entailed corn dogs, nachos, hamburgers, sliced peaches and peanut butter sandwiches. I had to go off-theme for this salad because I could not resist the opportunity to share fresh veggies with everyone. Sorry Napoleon, your menu was cramping my homegrown-style!
After selecting my home-grown ingredients from our Country Store in Belleville, I cooked 4 ears of corn in the husk in the microwave for about 7 minutes. Then I chopped my vegetables and cut the corn off the cob before stirring in the creamy vinaigrette dressing.
Tangy balsamic vinegar gives this dressing a robust flavor making it the perfect complement to homegrown vegetables. I think the flavors come together best if you make the salad an hour or two before serving. You can also make the dressing a day in advance and store it in the refrigerator.
(Note: I used regular aged balsamic vinegar. If you want veggies to look a little brighter, simply substitute white balsamic vinegar.)
Give this delicious Fresh Summer Corn Salad a try this holiday weekend. Happy 4th of July to you and your family! Eat well, Angie
P.S. Vote for Theo!
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp. Italian herbs or seasoning
- 4-5 ears of corn in husk (21/2 cups, cooked)
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, optional
- To prepare Vinaigrette: Combine vinegar, mayonnaise, olive oil, garlic, and herbs in small bowl. Whisk to emulsify or blend; set aside.
- To prepare Salad: Microwave ears of corn in husk for approximately 2 minutes per ear (if cooking 4 ears, cook for 71/2 to 8 minutes). Husk corn under cold running water. Cut corn from the ears. Combine all vegetables in a large bowl and drizzle with dressing. Add salt if desired. Makes 6 to 8 servings.