Yesterday was a culinary fairy tale day for me! I prepared fresh peach salsa in the orchard for a Show-Me St. Louis cooking clip which will air Monday, July 21. With the smell of tree-ripened peaches in the breeze and cooler than normal temperatures, I couldn’t imagine a more perfect day to be cooking in the orchard.
This fresh peach salsa recipe appears in our Eckert Family Summer Cookbook along with a few suggested variations. Today, I added the optional cilantro and jalapeno but I often adjust the recipe depending upon what I have on hand. I often substitute basil for the cilantro since it is my herb of choice.
Chris and I have enjoyed this peach salsa on grilled scallops and pork but for Show-Me, we simply dipped Eckert’s house-made tortilla chips. Juice from the peaches melds with honey to create a sweet sauce for the peaches and veggies. It is a great summer salsa and I hope you will give it a try!!
Eat well in the Orchard, Angie
- 4 cups unpeeled peaches
- ½ cup red onion, small dice
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced small
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced small
- 2-3 Tbs. Eckert’s Pure Honey
- Place ingredients in medium bowl. Mix all ingredients together. If desired, combine additional flavor ingredients; add to mixture. Adjust seasonings to taste. Cover and chill For best flavor, allow to come to room temperature about 1 hour before serving.
- Note: Add a little more heat to this recipe by including 1 teaspoon fresh chopped cilantro and 2 teaspoons of finely chopped fresh jalapeno pepper.