Sensational Strawberry Smoothie
Today was the last day of school for my kids and they couldn’t be more excited about the start of summer break! Personally, I am looking forward to a reprieve from checking homework and trying to get everyone in bed by 8:30pm. Since it was their last day and their last bus ride for a few months, I planned a little classroom smoothie making party for them.
After drop off, we headed into Eckert’s Cooking Classroom to blend up refreshing berry treats. This is Ella’s favorite smoothie recipe and she often makes it through the winter months with frozen berries we have stored up from the previous picking season. Today, we opted for fresh berries that came from the field a few hours prior. Fresh squeezed orange juice gives this smoothie a nice snap of citrus flavor and the kids get a kick out of juicing oranges by hand.
After a few twists on a juicer and a whirl in our mini blenders, we had smoothies ready for sipping and topping with ever-so-fun spray whipped topping. Normally I would opt for fresh-whipping cream but today calls for a little something more fun for the kids!
Eat well this almost-summer,
P.S. Thanks to Theo for taking our smoothie pic! It looks great!
- 2/3 cup whole fresh strawberries (5-6 medium berries)
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2/3 cup ice cubes
- ¼-1/2 tsp Eckert’s Pure Honey
- Whipped topping (optional)
- Place strawberries, juice, ice and honey in a blender. Whirl until smooth. Pour into a glass, top with whipped cream and serve immediately.Makes 1 generous serving (that means mom gets a few sips!)