Strawberry Season is Here!!!
Strawberry lovers will be delighted to hear that a good portion of our strawberries survived the harsh freeze in early April. Eckert's homegrown strawberries are now for sale in Eckert's Country Store and will offer Pick-Your-Own strawberries during some days in May.
There is nothing like a big, red, juicy strawberry, fresh off an Eckert vine. Eckert's has been growing strawberries at the Belleville farm for over 50 years. Strawberry season is the first fruit season of the year. This year, Pick-Your-Own Strawberries will be open to the public Thursday May 10th, Friday May 11th, Saturday May 12th, Sunday May 13th, Thursday May 17th, and Friday May 18th. The cost to pick your own berries is $1.99/lb and is open from 8 am until 6 pm. To recieve the mos current crop information, visitors are encouraged to check the Harvest Hotline at dev.eckerts.com/hotline.htm or at 1-800-745-0513 x. 1, before coming out to the Belleville Farm.
If you do not wish to pick-your-own, Eckert's Country Store will have plenty of freshly picked homegrown strawberries available for purchase, as well as many delicious strawberry treats available in the both the bakery and the Old Fashion Custard Shop.
Here are a few tips for buying and picking the best strawberries:
1. Try to pick early in the morning when the fruit is still cool.
2. Gently twist the berry off the stem - don't pull!
3. Choose strawberries that are as red as possible.
4. Avoid strawberries that are mashed or that have mold.
5. Smaller berries will be the freshest and the most flavorful.
6. Excessive handling will deteriorate these fragile berries.
7. Refrigerate unwashed stawberries in the coldest part of your refrigerator.
8. Rinse strawberries in a colander right before eating, but do not soak berries!
When Measuring Strawberries
1 1/2 pounds = 2 pints or 1 quart
1 pint = 3 1/4 cup whole berries
1 pint = 2 1/4 cup sliced berries