Strawberry Turkey & Goat Cheese Panini
It’s pick your own strawberries season here at Eckert’s and that means our family is eating fresh-picked berries at each and every meal! Strawberry season is short and sweet here so I try to slice as many as I can before they are gone. I love strawberries on Greek yogurt, breakfast cereal and with Eckert's Frozen Custard but sometimes I like to take them in a different direction altogether.
Strawberry Turkey & Goat Cheese Panini is a delectable combination of sweet, tangy and savory flavors. I like to make this recipe with Eckert’s fresh-baked Farm Bread and my new favorite turkey from our Dietz & Watson deli line, called Oven Classic Turkey Breast (if you like things a little smoky, try the Mesquite Smoked Turkey Breast).
A little goat cheese (feel free to substitute cream cheese) and Eckert’s Red Pepper Jelly help hold the panini ingredients in place as you brown the buttered bread in the skillet. I don’t have a Panini press so I simply place another skillet (to serve as a weight) on top of my sandwich as it is cooking. After about 2 minutes per side over medium heat, the panini is ready to serve!
This panini is so delicious it can also be found on our spring restaurant menu for the second year in a row. So if you have a craving but no gumption to cook, just stop by our country-style restaurant and give this yummy sandwich a try.
Watch Show-Me St. Louis, KSDK Channel 5 on Thursday, May 21st to see me make this recipe!
Eat well this spring,
- 1 (4 oz.) goat cheese log, softened
- 8 Italian bread slices
- 8 oz. thinly sliced smoked turkey
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- ½ to ¾ cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tbs. Eckert’s red pepper jelly
- 2tbs. butter, melted
- 4 strawberry halves, for garnish
- Cut goat cheese in 4 even portions. Divide turkey, basil leaves, strawberries and goat cheese evenly among 4 bread slices. Spread 1 ½ teaspoons pepper jelly on 1 side of remaining bread slices; place bread slices, jelly side down, on top of the goat cheese. Brush sandwiches with melted butter. Grill in pan 2 minutes per side. Garnish. Makes 4 servings.