Can Dogs Eat Blackberries? – Dog Diet Restrictions           


 

It’s fun to give your dog some treats every once in a while. That’s especially true when you want to share some flavorful, fruity snacks with them. After all, if fruits are so good for humans, wouldn’t they be good for dogs, too? As it turns out, only some fruits are really safe for dogs to eat. Learn more about whether dogs can eat blackberries and which other berries and fruits are okay to share with your pup.

Can-Dogs-Eat-Blackberries.jpg

Are Blackberries Safe for Dogs?

If you want to give your dog a sweet, healthy treat, there’s good news. Blackberries are safe for dogs to eat. They are low in calories and sugar, so you don’t have to feel bad about tossing a few of these juicy berries to your pup every once in a while.

Can Dogs Eat Other Types of Berries?

Certain types of berries besides blackberries are also safe for dogs. You can feed your dog strawberries, blueberries and raspberries as well. These berries are soft and easy for dogs to chew and don’t contain any ingredients that are toxic to canines.

What Types of Berries are Not Safe for Dogs?

Some berries can cause problems for dogs and should not be fed to them under any circumstances. For example, cherries can be harmful because they contain pits which create a choking hazard for dogs. In addition, several parts of the cherry include chemicals which are toxic to dogs, including the stem and the leaves.

Several other berries have similar risks related to pits and/or chemicals that are toxic to dogs, including holly berries, juniper berries, baneberries, poke berries and mistletoe berries. None of these types of berries should be shared with dogs.

Can Dogs Eat Other Types of Fruits?

Can-Dogs-Eat-Blackberries_1.jpg

Wondering what other types of fruits are okay for dogs to eat? Feel free to give your dog mangos or peaches as long as you remove the pit. Apples, oranges, pears, bananas, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cantaloupe, pineapple and most other fruits are fine as long as you remove any seeds, peel or core before feeding them to your dog.

Which Foods are Not Safe for Dogs?

Some foods are incredibly healthy for humans while being very dangerous to your furry friends. Here are the foods which you should NOT give to your dog:

  • Avocados

  • Grapes

  • Raisins

  • Mushrooms

  • Onions

  • Tomatoes

  • Coconut

  • Macadamia nuts

  • Almonds

  • Pecans

  • Walnuts

  • Garlic

  • Chives

  • Chocolate

  • Milk

  • Cooked bones

Limits on Dog Treats

Even if you choose safe snacks for your dog, remember that treats should only account for a limited part of their diet. In general, about 90 percent of a dog’s calories should come from a high-quality, nutritionally balanced dog good. The other 10 percent can account for treats, preferably healthy ones like nutritious dog treats or healthy human foods like fruits and vegetables.

Blackberries are one among many types of fruits you can feed your dog. Use these tips to make sure you don’t harm your pet’s health by feeding them something that’s not safe for dogs.